It was a normal stormy day in Altus last Thursday as Justin and I resided in our small apartment. Not much was happening with the weather when the AFB weather sirens went off. Justin and I stepped out side along with our neighbors to see what soon became a huge disaster. Justin quickly grabbed the camera when the clouds started to swirl very rapidly. Little did we know that a funnel was about to form from it all. The winds grew strong and rain came down in all directions. Of course by then we were inside and I was getting a little nervous.
The thunder was extremely loud, and lightening was striking in our parking lot! It was quite the storm that caused the majority of the town to go without power for days, some without a roof, up-rooted trees, and depree everywhere.
The AFB outdoor recreation center lost some very nice trailers and fifth-wheels just from the high winds. It was later determined that two small tornado's did actually touch ground in Altus. These were the first to touch down in this town since the 1980's.
4 comments:
eek! Scary but exciting. Stay safe little momma!
Wow, I would expect more tornadoes to have hit--it seems that there are always tornadoes in Oklahoma. I'm glad you guys are safe; and you have some cool pictures!
Yikes...I am relieved you are both safe and sound, but lucky you to be there for what appeared to be an historic day! I remember living in Kentucky with my parents, bro Eric and sis Karen when I was about 2; there was a tornado warning one day, and Karen and I hid under the stairwell (we didn't have a basement)untill the warning had passed. It was very frightening. What a poignant & feeling description you give of the OKC memorial. Such a tragedy.
Those are some scary pictures! I am glad you are both safe! I loved your slideshow and especially your description about your trip to OKC. The pictures of the memorials were beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment