Friday, January 22, 2010

Where Did THAT Come From??

Well, lets just say it has been quite a morning for myself and apparently Hunter. Today was Hunter's 18 month old check up. Needless to say, he did not want to go. Hunter began to whimper just walking into the clinic. I tried to clam him down a little before we went inside and it had seemed to work. I got him checked in, we sat down, all was well. After a moments wait, he started getting a little anxious again, but shortly they called us back. As we walked through the door and entered the patient room Hunter began to SCREAM. Not like any scream I have ever heard come from my child either. So I looked him over, checked to see if he got hurt or was being pinched ect. Nothing. The nurse kindly asked for me to take his shoes off and sit him on the scale to be weighed, and Hunter must have thought it was going to be painful because he acted as if he were about to sit on a scale of nails. He through the biggest tantrum I have ever seen or experienced in his 18months of life. Yes, the nurse and I were kicked, hit, he attempted to bite which he has never done before, threw his head back with a self caused injury, twisted all around, caused himself to choke, and of course continued to scream bloody murder. I was so embarrassed because this is not like Hunter. I had no idea how to control him without wanting to pattle his butt. So I sternly grabbed him, sternly sat him on my lap, and held him tightly so he was not able to get off. Yep, he continued to scream. The evaluation had to go on. Hunter's health, perfect! He is 28lbs, almost 34inches tall, and in the 80th percentile for both. His butt!? He is lucky he still has one! jk. So my question is to those parents that have had maybe a recent experience with their children like this, what did you do? I did not want to spank Hunter because I didnt want the Doc to think I was a terrible parent, but there was no spot in the clinic for "time out." I know this is the first of more to come, but I felt alone at how to handle this. Did I mention how embarrassed I was...Holy COW!! There are no words to explain.

3 comments:

Brittany H. said...

Oh, it is SO embarrassing! I probably would/have done the same thing--restrained him on my lap. It never works, just makes them more mad but the show must go on! Hope tomorrow is better!

Sherrie said...

I am sure many have told you including your own mother that this is the beginning of a long road of tantrums and fits! As embarrassing as it is every mother sitting in the clinic understands and feels your pain... and while your cursing in the inside, you sick to your guns and make it known however you feel that the behavior is not tolerated! Play it by the tantrum and situation, and when he hits two.. ITS all down hill... jk

joN aNd tRiciA said...

Ha arent kids the best! I can only imagine how it all played out. I wouldnt worry about it to much, people with kids understand and people without kids will soon understand lol. Im sure you are the best lil mommy!